NOTE 1 A characteristic can be inherent or assigned.
NOTE 2 A characteristic can be qualitative or quantitative.
NOTE 3 There are various classes of characteristic, such as the following:
- — physical (e.g. mechanical, electrical, chemical or biological characteristics);
- — sensory (e.g. related to smell, touch, taste, sight, hearing);
- — behavioural (e.g. courtesy, honesty, veracity);
- — temporal (e.g. punctuality, reliability, availability);
- — ergonomic (e.g. physiological characteristic, or related to human safety);
- — functional (e.g. maximum speed of an aircraft).